Author Topic: Need some help or suggestions  (Read 21771 times)

Offline dueprocess

• My 8yr old's tonka toy!
Re: Need some help or suggestions
« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2008, 06:22:55 PM »
The spot on the frame where the bend is located is where the catalytic converter went.  All trucks had this...

Keep in mine NO vehicle ever made will be level at all for corners.  spring steel will settle at different rates and we are talking about a 25 year old truck.....

4.) Front Fenders - L 30 5/8" 32 1/4"  = 1-5/8" differece
5.) Center of LCA bolt - L 10 3/8"  R 10 5/8" = 1/4" difference
6.) Front Cab Body mounts - L 11 3/4  R 12 1/4 = 1/2" difference

The problem is in the front.   Keep in mind none of this really means much (other than finding the source) until you get the frame straight.  If it has been hit, everything will be off.  I would check the body bushings condition also...
If the body bushings are in the same condition as the suspension bushing, then they are probly not any good - here are some pics of the LCA's and you can see the bushing..... I have a full set of Energy black bushings... Just did not want to put in till new LCA/UCA's and so on, should i put them in now?

You can see it real good here, they are almost all like this!

other side!

Dry Rotted

Barely Hanging on!!!!
1978 Chevy K10 / 454bbc / Dana 44 with chromoly axles / 6in susp & 3in BL / 38.50x15 Boggers(rims 15x14)!

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2008, 06:50:51 PM »
I am talking about the body bushings not the suspension bushings.

Offline dueprocess

« Reply #32 on: April 08, 2008, 08:45:04 PM »
I am talking about the body bushings not the suspension bushings.
I realize that, that is why i said if they are in the same shape as the suspension bushing(which as you seen - almost completely gone) then they are probly not in good shape unless they are more durable.
1978 Chevy K10 / 454bbc / Dana 44 with chromoly axles / 6in susp & 3in BL / 38.50x15 Boggers(rims 15x14)!

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2008, 10:14:35 PM »
Measure from here and compare L to R

,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline dueprocess

« Reply #34 on: April 10, 2008, 02:54:28 PM »
Measure from here and compare L to R

that measurement is : Drivers(L) 4"  Passenger(R) 5"

Offline Captkaos

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: April 10, 2008, 03:45:25 PM »
If those are different that is a problem...
Is the spring seated correctly?

Offline dueprocess

« Reply #36 on: April 10, 2008, 03:58:26 PM »
If those are different that is a problem...
Is the spring seated correctly?
yep, i cleaned the heck out of the lower and upper/CA's and made sure the seat was perfect. I went and checked the measurment again using a smaller device to measure with this time and it still 3/4" off from drivers to passenger side. So i am guessing that is a frame problem for sure? Will a frame place fix it @ that tolerance...... Not really sure about how much a frame shop will deal with before they say they are not touching it!

Offline HAULIN IT

« Reply #37 on: April 10, 2008, 04:29:01 PM »
Due, If the spring is seated correctly, as you say, then you have one of the following or a combination of: A bad/weak spring (unlikely since they are new & the old ones made it sit crooked too), ALLOT of weight difference side to side (again unlikely), the upper spring "seat" in the cradle is damaged/humped upward or the spring "seat" in the lower control arm is dipped/bent downward. The frame itself isn't to blame when this measurement is off (on our Chevys truck anyway), this is a suspension/bolt-on  problem. Lorne

Offline Captkaos

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: April 10, 2008, 05:26:40 PM »
Was the measurement taken with the truck off the ground or on the ground?
If you want to rule out the springs as the problem, swap them left to right. 
The spring has a location seat at the top, are they centered over that, or sitting on it?  If those measurements are off, I would suspect the spring or the lower control arm, but you control arms look ok...

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: April 10, 2008, 06:22:27 PM »
I agree, it's not the frame my man, that's your crossmember and lower control arm. If it's an inch difference then either something is bent or you have defective springs if they are installed correctly. Swap em like Capt suggested.
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

Offline dueprocess

« Reply #40 on: April 10, 2008, 07:02:07 PM »
I agree, it's not the frame my man, that's your crossmember and lower control arm. If it's an inch difference then either something is bent or you have defective springs if they are installed correctly. Swap em like Capt suggested.
Was the measurement taken with the truck off the ground or on the ground?
If you want to rule out the springs as the problem, swap them left to right. 
The spring has a location seat at the top, are they centered over that, or sitting on it?  If those measurements are off, I would suspect the spring or the lower control arm, but you control arms look ok...
I am starting to get the hang of this guys! When i put everything back in, i swaped the springs just cause i was curious! I will admit after cleaning the heck out of the uper and lower CA's the driver's upper arm seat did look i little bent(out of shape), but when i seated the spring in i had a tele-scoping viewer and as i used the floor jack to raise the lower CA and seat the spring i kept making sure it was correct top and bootom. I am 99% sure the spring are seated correctly.
  The measurement was taken with the truck sitting on the ground under it's own weight.
This cross-member ~ which one am I looking for(below oil pan,under cab,ect....) and i will post some pics and keep narrowing this down? Is there a way to tell if i have a bent CA without taking them both off and comparing them to one another?
Thanks guys for the continued help in my reoccuring question sessions!

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #41 on: April 10, 2008, 09:39:43 PM »
If you have a laser level you can make a point of reference from the front or rear of the crossmember and measure to the center of the lower ball joint. If it's physically twisted though you should be able to tell. I would give it a once over and if it all looks ok swap those springs.
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

Offline autorepr

• Frequent Member
« Reply #42 on: April 11, 2008, 05:28:15 AM »
Wow, slow down there tiger!  In the pics it looks like the control arm bushings are shot as can be. Both sides are busted and hanging out and the drivers side looks to be totally gone. If that is the case then the lower control arm is teeter-totering on the spring. The bushing side is going down and the ball joint side is going up while the truck is on all four wheels. That could easily be 2" with the leverage/pivot point of the spring.

Put some new bushings and ball joints in it. Looks like it needs it anyhow, then recheck it.  Matt
UH-OH  I'M GONNA NEED A BIGGER BANDAID!!!!!

Offline dueprocess

« Reply #43 on: April 11, 2008, 02:03:18 PM »
If you have a laser level you can make a point of reference from the front or rear of the crossmember and measure to the center of the lower ball joint. If it's physically twisted though you should be able to tell. I would give it a once over and if it all looks ok swap those springs.
I have a laser level! Will get the measurement today, i am suppose to be off @ 2:30(we are'nt doing anything anyway)!!! But the swapping the springs for a 3rd time?
Wow, slow down there tiger!  In the pics it looks like the control arm bushings are shot as can be. Both sides are busted and hanging out and the drivers side looks to be totally gone. If that is the case then the lower control arm is teeter-totering on the spring. The bushing side is going down and the ball joint side is going up while the truck is on all four wheels. That could easily be 2" with the leverage/pivot point of the spring.

Put some new bushings and ball joints in it. Looks like it needs it anyhow, then recheck it.  Matt
I have some new bushing but found out i don't have ll of them. Guess i will get on summit and order the rest of what i need and get to work on replacing them all.

Offline dueprocess

« Reply #44 on: April 12, 2008, 01:51:51 PM »
Ordered these this morning :D!!!!! Ships out on monday :).... If anyone wants to look and verify it is the right ones!!!!!!!!

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=ENS%2D3%2D3161G&view=1&N=700+150+4294908216+4294908213+4294925044+4294925130+4294839050+4294892674+400008+