Author Topic: Need some help or suggestions  (Read 21770 times)

Offline dueprocess

• My 8yr old's tonka toy!
Need some help or suggestions
« on: April 06, 2008, 05:02:12 PM »
Why is it this low? I put DJM 3" drop coils(progressive rate) on my 83 C10 1/2ton and now the from is just about sitting on the ground. the driver side is literally sitting on the bump stop hard. The passenger side is just at touching the bump stop. Granted the shackle & hangers have not been put on the back yet,but should have not dropped this bad off 3"coils. Could some of it be due to the shocks being old and crappy, have a little to do with it? Any idea's as to what is going on - i am open to suggestions!!!!!!!!!!!

1983 C10 - 2WD - 1/2ton with heavy duty suspension & brakes - 6.2L Diesel(379)V8

Front View

The passenger side

The whole view of passenger side

The driver side front
« Last Edit: April 06, 2008, 05:04:31 PM by dueprocess »
1978 Chevy K10 / 454bbc / Dana 44 with chromoly axles / 6in susp & 3in BL / 38.50x15 Boggers(rims 15x14)!

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
Re: Need some help or suggestions
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2008, 05:54:54 PM »
Where did you get the coils from? Why not just use lowering spindles?
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline okuma

• Frequent Member
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2008, 06:10:54 PM »
make sure you r not missing a spring seat cushion on either side .
THE LOWER I GO,..... THE MORE SHE LIKES IT!

Offline dueprocess

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2008, 06:19:36 PM »
I got the coils from summit racing. I did not get the spindles because the truck had a 1" sag on the drivers side(figured it to be the noturious drooping coil from that era), the coils were only $137.00 shipped to see if that fixed my leaning problem and the spindles($260.00) were gonna be bought when i bought the rest of the bagging parts. Really just wanted to see if it would level the front-end out!!!!!

I just don't understand why it is sitting on the bump stops unless the orignal shocks on the truck is letting it bottom out......
1978 Chevy K10 / 454bbc / Dana 44 with chromoly axles / 6in susp & 3in BL / 38.50x15 Boggers(rims 15x14)!

Offline dueprocess

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2008, 06:26:57 PM »
make sure you r not missing a spring seat cushion on either side .
would they have come with the springs and bump stops.

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2008, 08:02:53 PM »
no insulators.... u need to check everything over. Is your crossmember rotted/cracked?
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

Offline dueprocess

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2008, 09:10:54 PM »
no insulators.... u need to check everything over. Is your crossmember rotted/cracked?
Guess i really don't know exactly what i am looking for - i got the truck from the son of the original owner due to his hard time. I can't find any rust on the truck at all, the cross member did not appear to be cracked or rotted - what is the best way to check it out really well.

what are the insulators  /  seat cushtions(sp) everyone's using different terms but no explain what they mean.  If it is easyier said than typed - shoot me a pm and i am willing to hit you up my phone number or call

Thanks for the help guys!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2008, 09:26:03 PM »
spring insulators sit right on the spring pocket. You don't have them. Check to see if something is bent or damaged. Some pix would be helpful....
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

Offline dueprocess

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2008, 09:30:31 PM »
spring insulators sit right on the spring pocket. You don't have them. Check to see if something is bent or damaged. Some pix would be helpful....
I will get some pics monday after work - should i just get some pics of the underside, crossmember, and spindle coil area with the tire off?

Should i get this thing jacked back up in the air so it does not sit there all night with all the weight on it if it is a cracked cross member? How immediate is a cracked cross member?

Offline HAULIN IT

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2008, 10:19:42 PM »
By the photos, it looks like the Left front is still an inch different than the Right ("Lt. is sitting on the bumpstop hard,Rt. is just touching") Is it? How much off is the rear, say from the floor up to the wheel lip in the same spot side to side?

Offline okuma

• Frequent Member
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2008, 10:24:08 PM »
yes indeed, check the height on the rear both sides. 

your rear springs cold be the problem too.  wear/bent
THE LOWER I GO,..... THE MORE SHE LIKES IT!

Offline dueprocess

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2008, 05:39:14 AM »
By the photos, it looks like the Left front is still an inch different than the Right ("Lt. is sitting on the bumpstop hard,Rt. is just touching") Is it? How much off is the rear, say from the floor up to the wheel lip in the same spot side to side?
yes indeed, check the height on the rear both sides.  your rear springs cold be the problem too.  wear/bent

Will take some measurements today after work and get some pics...... I post soon as possible!!!!!! Thanks guys!

Offline Blazin

• Blazin new trails!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2008, 06:31:12 AM »
Just my 2 cents. Shocks don't hold a rig up or down, just like you can't lift a truck with just shocks. All they do is dampen wheel travel. If you drive it with them most likely they will bottom out and blow them though.
Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs

Offline autorepr

• Frequent Member
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2008, 06:55:09 AM »
   Are the springs the correct application?    Meaning are they for a 83 1/2 ton with a Diesel and A/C? A Diesel ways more than a small block gasoline engine and A/C equipment can add 150#s to the front weight. Call summit maybe they're boxed wrong. maybe there for an inline 6 without A/C.

Shocks do absolutely nothing to hold up a vehicle, any vehicle. They only control spring movement. Air shocks help hold up a vehicle but in my humble opinion are the wrong way to go.

Let us know.
UH-OH  I'M GONNA NEED A BIGGER BANDAID!!!!!

Offline dueprocess

« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2008, 12:04:47 PM »
   Are the springs the correct application?    Meaning are they for a 83 1/2 ton with a Diesel and A/C? A Diesel ways more than a small block gasoline engine and A/C equipment can add 150#s to the front weight. Call summit maybe they're boxed wrong. maybe there for an inline 6 without A/C.

Shocks do absolutely nothing to hold up a vehicle, any vehicle. They only control spring movement. Air shocks help hold up a vehicle but in my humble opinion are the wrong way to go.

Let us know.

Good point, i will call summit and see if by chance i did end up with the wrong coils/ packaged in the right box. I'm with you, air shocks are crap!!!!!!

yes indeed, check the height on the rear both sides.  your rear springs cold be the problem too.  wear/bent
Measured the rear and it is 1" higher on the passenger side @ every place i measured from rear wheels back, which is right if the drivers front is 1" lower than the passenger side front! Think i may have a 1" bend or flex in the frame. Guess i will call summit and see what they say.